The Quintessential Guide to Gifts for Wine Lovers
Just about everybody loves a good tipple or two, especially around the holidays. With that in mind, we’ve created a booze-infused gift guide to help with all your shopping challenges. All gifts are available for purchase online, so slip into that Snuggie and get clicking!
Gifts for wine lovers when you’re on a budget
If you’ve maxed out the credit card on wish-list items for the kids and spouse but still need to snag something for a coworker or neighbor, these low key yet thoughtful items will not only bring some good cheer but be easy on the designer pocketbook you just bought for yourself on the sly.
• Domaine Lefage Tessellae Old Vine Carignan – Wine.com, $15
• Jansz Premium Cuvée Brut NV – Wine.com, $26
• The Hangover Secret – The Hangover Secret, $22 for a six-pack
• Cordial Organics Limited Edition Harvest Bitters – Cordial Organics, $32
Top expensive wines for when money is no object
On the other hand, if you have carte blanche to spend like you’ve won the lottery (in which case, we’d like to hang out), this collection of exclusive, top-of-the-line items, including a rare Croatian wine aged in the Adriatic Sea, and a whimsical Champagne-lover’s necklace, are sure to impress even those who have everything.
• Champers Locket – Laura Lobdell, $998
• European Food and Wine Trip – CruNomade, from $3,500
• Navis Mysterium Amphora 2012 – Wine & More, $499
• Extra Añejo Sipper’s Series Tequila Gift Pack – SipTequila, $437
Wines for entertainers
We all know the type. They are hip to the newest, coolest restaurant openings in town, and dinner at their house is never a casual affair (or, if it is, it’s a gorgeous farm-to-table meal al fresco in their starlit backyard). They love to entertain, and flavor always comes first. These items are sure to tickle their taste buds (hello, pint of sweet goat cheese ice cream swirled with Domaine Carneros Pinot Noir).
• Wine Country Table Cookbook – The Wine Institute, $29
• Kenefick Ranch 2015 Merlot – Kenefick Ranch, $50
• Sunwink Sparkling Herbal Tonics – Sunwink, $48 for a 12-pack
• Humphry Slocombe Holiday Cheers Boozy Ice Cream Gift Pack – Goldbelly, $89 for six pints
Trendy wine gifts for the person in your life who is a little extra
Whether you’re buying for the friend who is, irritatingly, always put together and on-trend, or you are that friend, you will want to make sure your gift reflects those same stylish sensibilities.
• Ferrari Brut NV Trentodoc with Chill Box – Wine.com, $26.99
• Rose Crystal Champagne Flute Set – WineCountry Shop, $39.95 for set of two
• Stellareese Collection Napa Valley Wine Tote – stellareesecollection.com, $185
• Ella+Mila “In Line for Wine” Nail Polish – ella+mila, $10.50
Popular wines that work for all personalities
Perhaps you’re buying for your office round of Secret Santa, or you’re trying to impress the in-laws you see once every other year. From a clean, organic take on a classic neutral spirit, to a wine kit that’s got something for the whole family, to hand-delivered wines by the glass, these items are sure to please, whether you’re buying for naughty, nice, or totally not sure.
• American Harvest Organic Vodka – ReserveBar, $32
• Gundlach Bundschu Family Game Night – Gundlach Bundschu, $130
• 12 Nights of Wine Personalized Wine Flight – Vinebox, starting at $79
• Wine Blending Kit – Blendtique, $88
Boozy gifts that work for adventurous types
These folks have a zest for life, the outdoors, adventure … anything that keeps them feeling alive and on-the-move. Show them you appreciate their wild ways with one of these free-spirited gifts.
• Firelight 375 Flask – High Camp Flasks, $95
• Tongue Dancer Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir – Tongue Dancer Wines, $49
• Sommelier Leather Wine Carrier – Moral Code, $128
• Moscow Mule Carry-On Cocktail Kit – WineCountry Shop, $48
When you need to bring a little something
If there’s one thing you’ve probably learned by getting this far in life, it’s that you never – ever – show up to someone’s home empty-handed. Whether it’s a delicious bottle of crowd-pleasing wine, some festive Sonoma Mountain bubbly, or something to make those inevitable morning-after cocktails a little tastier, we’ve got you covered.
• Oceano Chardonnay – Oceano Wines, $38
• Bloody Mary Mixer – Toma, $10.99
• Riedel Performance Cabernet Glasses – Riedel, $59 for set of two
• Belden Barns Blanc de Noirs – Belden Barns, $38
When you’ve left it to the absolute last minute
Rather than braving the mall, take a deep breath and say these two words: Subscription. Service. Most enable gifting via a happy email message that you can either send or print out & tuck into a holiday card (double points for putting it in a box and gift wrapping it!). Here are a few of our favorites, including the chance to gift someone a few grape vines in Napa for a year.
• Shaker & Spoon Cocktail Club – Shaker & Spoon, $50/month, cancel any time
• Club Empathy Wine Subscription – Empathy Wines, starting at $60
• Wine Insiders Club – Wine Insiders, starting at $89
• One Year Lease on a Napa Vineyard – Own a Napa Vineyard, starting at $99